Once you are done developing the application of your dreams, you upload it to the market and rub your hands expecting a flood of downloads. However, even if the app is not far from perfection, it can remain unnoticed. Every single day hundreds of other apps are released. If you don’t want your brainchild to get stuck in the stage when other apps eclipse it due to the lack of visibility, do not underestimate the importance of app promotion stage.
So what should we do in order to create a loyal user base? What marketing strategy will make the app stand out of the crowd? How can we beat the odds? Let’s examine the most efficient tips, following which you will be able to make the big time.
1. Draw the consumers’ attention with the help of submission details.
First of all, you will have to come up with a catchy name for your app. App development companies claim that it should be amusing, memorable and informative at the same time. By informative we mean the following: the customer should understand what the function of the program is as soon as he sees the title. Short names are preferable: 11 characters or less. Although if you decide to include a keyword in it (which is a wise idea for search objectives), the title can become quite long. Don’t forget that the name must be unique as well.
Another thing which is crucial is the description. It should be detailed but do not include info which is useless for the target group. Don’t be afraid of using any flamboyant adjectives. There are few people who can remain indifferent to the descriptions where such words as “brilliant”, “revolutionary”, or “mindblowing” are used.
Besides the description of your application, bullet points which accentuate particular key functionality components along with ratings and awards can be included.
Make certain that it is possible for consumers to find the app during their searches. If you are applying a successful app store optimization (ASO) strategy, you should be aware that keywords are essential. The correct usage of the latter ones will enhance your visibility and thus downloads of your app will increase in both iTunes and Google Play.
There is a saying “You can’t judge a book by its cover”. In fact, we usually can. First, we pay attention to the external constituent of everything, and only later we will look into the internal content. You can take advantage of it in mobile app promotion. The first thing customers see is the icon. Since they will connect it with your app afterward, you should make all efforts to create a great-looking, high-quality, detailed icon. Nevertheless, it should be simple at the same time. Potential users must clearly understand what the content of your app is by just looking at the icon.
Some mobile app development companies use text on their icons. We wouldn’t recommend you do it as you don’t have so much space. Besides, there is the title of the app either above or below the icon. That is why the idea of adding it directly to the image is dismissed.
In case all the mentioned factors didn’t influence the user and he still hasn’t downloaded your app, screenshots can be a convincing argument for him to do so. iOS and Andriod mobile app development companies state that the number of screenshots depends on where you submit the project to. It is allowed to post up to five screenshots to iTunes, as well as a preview video. Submitting your project to Google Play will let you post eight screenshots for each supported device and a YouTube video.
2. Produce buzz building the teaser website before the launch of the app.
A website where you will be able to share the news on the progress of the app’s development will ignite interest in the app. SEO practices can be implemented here which will lead to the growth of the page’s visitors. You can get visitors’ email addresses giving them a promise that you will keep them in the loop on the project’s development, or that as soon as the app is ready you will send them an invitation to download it. A proposal to take part in beta testing can win the site’s visitors over. We can’t but mention one more big advantage of creating the site before the launch of the app: you can describe the functionalities of the app you are working on and ask visitors to leave their feedback. The information you will be able to acquire by doing so is extremely valuable.
The website design needn’t be exquisite. It can be really simple and still be popular with visitors. So it’s better to see its content. First of all, keep a blog. It will drive traffic to your website and will get you discovered via social networks and thus reveal your business to a new audience (if the post is a useful one people are likely to share it on social networks). By the way, you can always run a contest so as to encourage visitors to share the content. For instance, you can offer a promo code to a random person. The promo code will let him/her download the application free of charge in case it is a paid one.
Secondly, you can include a link to the press kit where your potential customers will find press releases, featured images, and detailed info on the app’s development.
Remember to redesign the landing page when the app is ready to be launched. Add the button to the website which will let the visitors download the program from the app stores where it’s available. More images, information, and positive reviews can be added when the app is a ready product. Update the site from time to time so as to draw visitors long after the app has been released.
3. Get reviews.
Very often we rely on other people’s opinions, whether it concerns movies, restaurants, or apps. So it will never hurt to share your project with influencers in order to get their approval. It will be good for the app’s reputation and people who read or watch the review will have the possibility to get familiar with the project.
To reach out to reviewers, send them an email that will contain the link to the functioning version of the app. Add a paragraph-long description of the program. It would be beneficial if you attached the video of the project in action as well as screenshots and your contact details.
Test your app thoroughly before you send it to review sites. Otherwise, if your app isn’t good enough, it won’t get a positive response.
4. Don’t forget about social media platforms.
We highly recommend you to include social networks into your promotion strategy. These social media channels have proved to be one of the most efficient platforms for software development companies that are eager to promote their apps. Such sites as Facebook or Twitter, for example, permit developers to extend the pool of potential buyers. On the one hand, promoting the app via social networks is cost-effective. On the other hand, it provides the developers with the opportunity to get in touch with the customer base really quickly. Saving money and maintaining a good relationship with the customers: what could be better?
There are many options available nowadays: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and others. According to data obtained from Statista.com, Facebook established itself as a leading choice with 900,000,000 estimated unique monthly visitors, then comes Twitter with 310,000,000 estimated unique monthly visitors, and LinkedIn occupies the third place. Choose a social network that suits you better and take advantage of it.
5. Synchronize everything together
Blog posts, banners, PR – they all should appear simultaneously. The more potential customers come across the info about your app, the better. If they see the article about the app for the first time, probably they won’t pay decent attention to it. If it appears before their eyes once again, they are likely to take more interest in the product. Let them see it for the third time – and there is a high probability that they will join your customers.
We have also prepared a list of some of the best websites you can start with when promoting your app.
1. Feedmyapp. It’s a good place to present the app the way you want it. Write the description and attach the tags so that users could find you.
2. Launching Next. Check this site out is in case you have decided to submit your app for review.
3. Springwise. If you have something groundbreaking to offer, try this site. It won’t accept any mediocre apps, but if you are the lucky one, your app will be exposed to a large audience.
4. The Startup Pitch. You will need to answer a couple of questions about the app you have created to get featured here. You won’t only give the info about your app, but you will also explain why this app is worth downloading. Thus, you will persuade the audience to try it out.
5. Netted. If you are featured here, your app will get much exposure. The app can also get additional coverage as it may be included in a newsletter roundup.
6. Startupli.st. This site is one more place to generate exposure. Here you are to post a short description of the app and place links to all your social network profiles.
7. SuS. This abbreviation stands for Startups using Startups. Entrepreneurs all over the world share the apps which turned out to be most useful in their business. Being an app developer, you can submit both: the app you’ve created and the apps you find beneficial.
8. Betalist. An amazing place to start the promotion. You can easily get up to 500 subscribers to your mailing list. But don’t forget that only startups which have a “coming soon” page can be accepted.
9. AppStorm. This website is very convenient as it is divided into several sections. Every section refers to a different mobile platform. Alongside letting you explain what the app can do, the website reviews particular apps.
10. Rate My Startup. As soon as your app has been featured, the site’s visitors vote expressing their opinions about the project. If the members are impressed, your app can constantly be in the “top app” section.
When it’s high time your app was launched, you’ll realize that you have spent a significant amount of money and have dedicated much time to its development. So that these sacrifices were not in vain and you managed to reach a positive ROI (return on investment), it’s essential that you do not relax when it comes to promotion.
The methods which were mentioned here can contribute to an outstanding promotion strategy. Even though they do not guarantee the app’s success, not applying them can result in the app’s failure.
Elinext Group mobile apps projects:
Industries and Technology Areas
Technology Areas: mobile application development