All sorts of software for mobile devices have been around for years, but most analysts picked up the day Apple Inc. launched its iPhone App store to mark the birth of apps. It is hard to overlook the tremendous success of the App Store, I am sure you can find relevant figures.
Despite the app`s concept was not invented by Apple, the App Store as a marketing tool is a recent discovery. Previously, phone users used to download apps from websites and web-based content aggregators. True, the App Store cannot be considered the first sales platform for apps, but it revolutionized the software development industry by proving that mobile applications are easy to download, install, and use. Today, with hundreds of thousands of apps to choose from, end users spend billions of dollars on applications every year.
With that being said, not much has been written about why businesses today need their own mobile apps. In what comes next, I try to summarize the main reasons for the mobile development of own branded apps for Fall 2011.
1. PR Instrument. Applications for smartphones and iPhone apps in particular are an excellent opportunity to get in touch with media and make them aware of your company. As long as the mobile app buzz goes on, make sure you use your chances to hop in.
2. Reach out to a specific audience. This is no secret that most of the users of devices on iOS are a more or less homogeneous social group of IT-literate, internet shrewd, pro design people. If your target audience looks like them, go for it.
3. Assist branding and advertising efforts. Look, an app is not expensive and lasts for a while. You have a chance to make something beautiful and let your brand remain in people`s memory for a long.
4. Be at the edge of innovations. Enjoy all benefits of early adopters of sure winning technologies. Mobile apps are here for good and this may be the best time to get your app title registered before all the good ones are already taken by someone else.
5. Profit. Depending on your current strategic preferences you could cross-sell, up-sell, or simply sell your products online via App Store. Some software vendors are already cashing in on the gold mine of apps.
6. Make up to your clients’ and customers’ expectations. Most of the IT crowd and active smartphone users expect renowned brands to have their own iPhone apps. If you are known for good products and services in your industry, start thinking about an app as soon as possible.
7. Compete with the best companies in the world. True, it can be extremely difficult to compete with big shots as far as services and products are concerned, but in the App Store, everyone has a chance to win the love of the audience. Just develop an original and helpful app to succeed.
8. Competition. This may be a keep up with your competitors` kind of thing for you, but if they have an app while you donate, you may be losing the race. Turn this situation to your advantage to be one step ahead of them.
9. Get more clients, Facebook likes, etc. Promote yourself among those who would not hear about you in normal circumstances. With the rising number of smartphone users, you have a chance to appeal even to a bigger audience and support your social media marketing campaigns.
10. Additional point of contact and self-presentation. If you do not want to miss any opportunity to present yourself and your brand to potential customers and clients, an iPhone app can become yet another form of communication with the global public.